Alternative to Braces for Teens
Alternative to Braces for Teens
If your teen is tired of living with crooked teeth, now is an excellent time to consider orthodontics. At 1000 Smiles we regularly answer questions about ClearCorrect as an alternative to braces for teens. This product is growing in popularity as more and more teens are transforming their smile without the use of bulky and noticeable braces. If you live in Newbury Park, CA or the 91320 area, we encourage you to call (805) 454-1000 and schedule an examination. We can let you know whether or not ClearCorrect is the right solution for your child and how to get started.
Clear Correct Services
What is ClearCorrect?
ClearCorrect straightens teeth using a series of clear, plastic aligners. For teeth to move from their current crooked position to where they are supposed to be, pressure must be applied. With braces, this is done using metal brackets with wires threaded between them. With ClearCorrect, we apply pressure using a series of clear aligners that place specific amounts of pressure on specific teeth. When worn in a series, they put the right amount of pressure on the teeth to migrate the teeth to the correct position.
Here are seven things you should know about ClearCorrect prior to visiting our office.
- Teens love ClearCorrect. If your teen enjoys their orthodontics treatment, they will be more committed to following through with it. Orthodontics is not a procedure that people can complete in one visit. It is up to your teen to remember to wear their aligners, keep up with appointments and care for his or her teeth. While the same level of commitment is necessary for wearing braces, ClearCorrect can lead to better satisfaction in the teen during the process and months of wearing the product. Teens wear ClearCorrect aligners for at least 21 hours per day. However, teens can remove the aligners to eat, brush their teeth, play sports or for taking a picture.
- Easier to use. One of the biggest benefits of ClearCorrect as an alternative to braces for teens, is that the clear aligners are incredibly easy to use. The clear aligners function like a removable retainer. Your teen puts the aligners in and takes them out as necessary since we do not need to permanently fix anything in place. As long as a teen brushes his or her teeth after each meal, the teen can eat any favorite foods and not have to adjust the diet. All the teen needs to do is take the aligners out and put them in a secure case while eating. The same is true when it comes to brushing their teeth. This is a far cry from braces, where the brushing and flossing routine requires additional tools and can take up to twenty minutes at a time.
- Teeth stay cleaner. Since teeth are easier to keep clean when wearing ClearCorrect, there is less of a chance of developing stains or even cavities. Consider this, when a person wears braces, food can become stuck all along the brackets and underneath the wires. These areas can be hotbeds for bacteria and plaque that can eat away at the teeth and lead to decay. In order to prevent this, special brushes need to be used on a daily basis so that the brackets themselves can stay relatively clean. Proper dental hygiene can be difficult for adults, let alone children or teens. This is one reason that Dr. Rubin recommends ClearCorrect. By removing the aligners while eating, there is nothing additional for food to get stuck on or for plaque to grow on. Since they come out to brush and floss, the process of oral hygiene is as convenient as it has always been. ClearCorrect makes a win-win for oral hygiene and for the aesthetics of the smile.
- Better for self-esteem. While braces are smaller in size than in the past, many people still associate stigma with wearing braces. When teens hear they will need to wear braces, many may feel insecure about looking different, become worried about standing out, and dislike the idea of going to school with a metal mouth. At 1000 Smiles, we get it. No matter how efficient of a job braces can accomplish, some teens may prefer an alternative due to feelings of insecurity or being self-conscious. As a parent, we encourage you not to force the issue since braces are a long-term commitment and if they are not happy on day one, it is unlikely that they will be happy a few months in the process. Instead, we recommend using ClearCorrect. Our Newbury Park dental office can provide a nearly invisible solution for teens that other people will have trouble noticing. The discreet function while wearing ClearCorrect allows them to smile every day without hiding their teeth. As the teen’s smile improves during the process, he or she will remain positive and notice the changes.
- Treatment time. Dr. Rubin can let you know how long the treatment will last when you visit our 91320 dental office. Generally speaking, most teens need to wear their aligners for around eighteen months. The overall treatment time with ClearCorrect can vary on how often the teen removes the aligners. While a teen may only need to wear the aligners for 20 to 22 hours per day, if they remove the aligners for too long, they risk extending the treatment time. Wearing ClearCorrect takes commitment and care, but can provide a positive experience in comparison to other methods.
- ClearCorrect is more comfortable. At 1000 Smiles, we hear many of our patients mention how comfortable they are during the treatment process. Anytime teeth move, there is bound to be some level of soreness. Whether your teen wears metal braces or aligners, there will be some soreness following an adjustment or switching to a new aligner. A small amount of soreness during an adjustment is perfectly natural. The difference in comfort is more noticeable when one considers how everything feels on a regular basis. Since traditional braces involve metal brackets and wires, that metal can rub up against the cheeks and inside of the mouth, causing irritation. It is not uncommon for people to get sores or cuts in their mouth as a result. Naturally, this is inconvenient and entirely avoidable when wearing ClearCorrect. Since the aligners are clear plastic, they are smooth and will be unlikely to cut your teen’s mouth during treatment.
Check out what others are saying about our alternative to braces on Yelp: ClearCorrect Newbury Park.
Is Clear Correct Right For Me?
Clear Correct Care
Learn more about ClearCorrect as an alternative to braces for teens by calling 805-454-1000 and scheduling an appointment with Dr. Rubin. At 1000 Smiles, we can answer any questions that you have after examining your teen. If you live in Newbury Park, California or the 91320 area, we can give them the smile of their dreams.
Recent Blog Posts
An x-ray of the head that shows whether your teeth are aligned properly, and whether they are growing properly.
Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment usually done when you are 6-8. The objective of interceptive orthodontic treatment is to expand your palate and make other corrections, so that your later orthodontic treatment goes quicker and is less painful.
Orthodontic appliance fixed to the inside of your teeth. i.e. Lingual appliances are attached to the part of your teeth next to your tongue.